The type of junk that we will remove in Toronto is almost limitless. There are some restrictions, however, on the types of items that we will haul away. The following two lists of accepted and non-accepted item will you to understand exactly what can be taken away.
Non-Accepted Junk Items
This category includes both regular hazardous waste, and household hazardous waste, such as:
- Paint and paint cans ( whether they are empty or full )
- Explosive products ( such as any size of propane tanks, helium tanks, or aerosol products )
- Solvents ( like paint thinners )
- Pesticides and Fertilizers ( including indoor plant products )
- Antifreeze or coolant ( including windshield washer fluid )
- Oil filters
- Empty automotive oil containers
- Poisonous materials ( such as medications that have expired, cleaning products, compact fluorescent lamps ( CFLs ), fluorescent tubes, cooking oil, needles and syringes, other types of medical waste )
- Flammable products ( such as gasoline, lighter fluid, and turpentine )
- Corrosive products ( such as drain cleaners and car battery acid )
Accepted Junk Items
- Furniture ( including but not limited to beds, dressers, couches, tables and chairs, bookshelves and cabinets, desks, ottomans, side tables, filing cabinets, coffee tables, mirrors, etc. )
- Household items ( including but not limited to dishes, pots and pans, cooking utensils, carpets and rugs, pictures and other types of wall decor and artwork, lamps, etc. )
- General home items ( including but not limited to clothing, bedding, curtains and draperies, book and magazines, pianos and other musical instruments, storage containers, electronic media such as DVDs and CDs, etc. )
- Any type of appliances, including fridges, freezers, stoves, microwaves, toasters, coffee makers, food processors, blenders, etc.)
- All electronics, including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, stereo systems and related components, fax machines, copiers, computer monitors and hard drives, keyboards, scanners, cameras, radios, pagers, typewriters, etc. )
- Outdoor waste and construction materials ( including but not limited to wood, drywall, brick, cement, roofing materials, siding, leaves, etc. )
- Other items (hot tubs, sheds, aboveground pools, tires, and many other items).
Once all of the materials have been removed from the home or yard, they are taken away and sorted. All items that are recyclable will make their way to a recycling facility where they will be reused in the manufacture of new products. When there are items that are still in good condition and able to be used by someone else, there are a variety of programs which accept these types of goods to either be given away, or sold at a reduced rate.
If you are uncertain about whether or not a certain type of item is accepted, the best thing that you can do is to give us a call and ask. Especially when there is a large amount of a certain item that you need to get rid of, it is much simpler to confirm that this item can be safely taken away. For the items and products that are not accepted as junk in Toronto, the city’s website has current information on the programs available for safe disposal, including drop-off locations and times.